Luis Arraez Dealing With Torn Ligament In His Thumb
8 months agoSan Diego Padres first baseman/designated hitter Luis Arraez (thumb) revealed after Friday's extra-inning win over the Miami Marlins that he's been playing with a torn ligament in his left thumb. Arraez was examined by a doctor during the All-Star break and was told he could continue playing with the torn ligament, according to a source. It helps explain why the 27-year-old two-time batting champion sat out this year's All-Star game. The Venezuelan hitter is still hitting just over .300 on the season as a whole, but since the All-Star break, he's gone 18-for-70 (.257) with a homer, four doubles, six RBI, a stolen base and eight runs scored in 16 games played. Arraez doesn't do a whole lot for fantasy managers besides carry a high average, and his thumb injury could compromise his ability to rack up the hits the rest of the way in 2024.
Source: The Athletic - Dennis Lin
Source: The Athletic - Dennis Lin
Luis Arraez's Thumb Injury A Thing Of The Past
1 month agoSan Diego Padres first baseman/designated hitter Luis Arraez (thumb) had surgery last October to fix a torn UCL in his left thumb that he suffered on June 25, but it shouldn't be an issue going forward. " I feel like I got a new thumb," Arraez said. The three-time All-Star still managed to win his third straight batting title after being traded from the Miami Marlins to the Padres in the first half of the season, and he also led the league with 200 hits. However, Arraez's slugging percentage was down considerably and he had only four round-trippers, 46 RBI, nine stolen bases and 83 runs scored in 672 total plate appearances and 150 games played. The 27-year-old left-handed hitter should continue to hit for a very high average to help fantasy managers, but he's a one-category producer and won't do much else. RotoBaller has him ranked as the No. 19 fantasy first baseman.
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Luis Arraez To Play First Base
2 months agoSan Diego Padres president of baseball operations A.J. Preller said he sees infielder Luis Arraez as the team's starting first baseman this year. "They're everyday guys that'll be on the field," manager Mike Shildt said of Arraez and Jake Cronenworth being on the right side of the infield in 2025. Arraez will surely also see time as the club's designated hitter, but it appears he'll spend most of his time at first, with Cronenworth at the keystone. The 27-year-old left-handed hitter won his third straight batting title in 2024 by hitting .314 (200-for-637) while also being named to his third straight All-Star team. The Venezuelan has a unique skill set at the plate with elite bat-to-ball skills, and what he did last year is even more impressive, considering he played a large chunk of the season with a torn UCL in his left thumb. Arraez is great for your team batting average, but he does very little else.
Source: MLB.com - AJ Cassavell
Source: MLB.com - AJ Cassavell
Padres Would Prefer To Hold Luis Arraez
3 months agoAccording to Dennis Lin of The Athletic, the San Diego Padres would prefer to hold infielder Luis Arraez. Arraez has had his name circling around several trade discussions throughout the offseason. However, the Padres and Arraez settled on a $14 million to avoid arbitration last week. Lin noted that even though the team remains focused on winning a championship, they remain open to moving a few of their higher contracts to create some roster flexibility. Starting pitcher Dylan Cease and right-handed relief pitcher Robert Suarez have also had their names around trade talks. Last season, Arraez posted at least a .300 AVG for the third-straight campaign. Last summer, he held a .314 AVG across time with Miami and San Diego. Under the hood, he posted a stellar 4.3% K rate but lacked in power production. The 27-year-old remains one of the top targets for batting average but carries very low power upside.
Source: Dennis Lin
Source: Dennis Lin
Luis Arraez, Padres Settle On $14 Million Deal
3 months agoInfielder Luis Arraez and the San Diego Padres settled on a $14 million deal for the 2025 season on Thursday to avoid salary arbitration, according to a source. Arraez will get a $3.5 million raise in his final year of arbitration eligibility. With the Padres looking to cut salary this year, they've explored trading Arraez to the New York Yankees, although no deal is close. The 27-year-old Venezuelan is the best contact hitter in the game and won the batting title for the third straight season while playing for the Padres and Miami Marlins. It's hard to believe his .314 average was a step back from 2023, and he also had surgery in October to fix a torn ligament in his left thumb. Arraez surely has a unique skill set, but his lack of defensive prowess and speed mostly make him a one-category contributor (average) in fantasy. If he stays in SD, Arraez should hit leadoff in a strong lineup.
Source: MLB.com - Mark Feinsand
Source: MLB.com - Mark Feinsand
Read More News