Pete Alonso Walks Three Times On Sunday
11 months agoNew York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso walked three times in Sunday's 4-2 win against the St. Louis Cardinals. Alonso had a light day while showing his plate discipline, going 0-for-2 with three walks and one strikeout. It wasn't the best showing over the weekend against St. Louis, as he went 1-for-10 with three walks and three strikeouts, but he did add on his eighth homer on Saturday, which was his 200th career blast. The 29-year-old is slashing .248/.336/.505 with three doubles, 14 RBI, 20 runs, eight homers, 12 walks and 23 strikeouts for the season. The Mets will kick off Monday with a prime matchup versus the Chicago Cubs, starting a four-game series. Fantasy managers should continue to start Alonso in all leagues.
Source: ESPN.com
Source: ESPN.com
Pete Alonso Hits A Grand Slam On Monday
2 days agoNew York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso went 2-for-4 with a walk and a grand slam in a 10-4 win over the Miami Marlins on Monday. Alonso launched his first homer of the season off Cal Quantrill in the fifth inning to break the game open and give the Mets a 6-1 lead. The shot traveled 400 feet and had an exit velocity of 105.9 MPH. Alonso is off to a slow start through his first four games of the season as he came into the game with just one hit on the young season. After Monday's performance, Alonso is hitting .231 with one homer, two runs, and four RBI through 13 at-bats. He will hope Monday's performance kick-starts his bat moving forward.
Source: MLB.com
Source: MLB.com
Pete Alonso Refines His Swing Mechanics
4 weeks agoAfter a substandard season in 2024, New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso worked hard in the offseason to figure out why his swing got "out of control" in the regular season, per The Athletic's Will Sammon. Co-hitting coach Eric Chavez said Alonso learned the importance of his hips as a power source. Alonso has his hips in the right position before and during his swing, and Chavez said the power hitter has "actually learned how to hit." "It's the best I've ever seen him. I'm very, very optimistic that Pete is going to have a monster year," Chavez said. Ideally, the 30-year-old will both refine his swing and chase bad pitches less frequently. The four-time All-Star bounced back in the batting average department last year, but his .788 OPS was a career-low, and his 34 homers were his fewest in a full season in his career. Staying in New York is a positive for his fantasy value, and fine-tuning his swing mechanics could indeed return Alonso to an elite power guy.
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon
Pete Alonso OK After Being Hit In The Face
1 month agoNew York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso (face) is ok after being hit by a ball in the face. Alonso was hit in the face during an infield drill on Thursday morning but was able to return to action later in the afternoon. Fantasy managers should continue to monitor his status in case he faces a setback. After being a free agent for the majority of the offseason, Alonso eventually resigned with the New York Mets. Earlier in February, Alonso signed a two-year $54 million contract. This deal includes an opt-out after the first season. Last season, the 30-year-old held a career-low .240/.329/.459 line with just 34 home runs and 88 RBI. During the 2022 and 2023 seasons, Alonso went deep at least 40 times and tallied at least 115 RBI in each campaign. Fantasy managers should expect Alonso to bat behind Francisco Lindor and Juan Soto in the everyday lineup, which should provide him with elite RBI opportunities that will set him up well for a bounce-back season.
Source: SNY
Source: SNY
Pete Alonso Returning To Mets On Two-Year Deal
2 months agoAccording to Jeff Passan of ESPN, the New York Mets are re-signing first baseman Pete Alonso to a two-year deal worth $54 million. The contract contains an opt-out after the first season. Alonso has been in discussions with several teams during the offseason but will return to the Mets. The Blue Jays and Angels were among the teams that showed interest. During the offseason, the Mets signed superstar outfield Juan Soto to a record-breaking contract and will now bring back their first baseman as they pursue a championship. Alonso broke out at the MLB level during his first season and led the National League in home runs (53) en route to winning NL Rookie of the Year. This past season, Alonso had a down year by his standards and hit just 34 home runs with a .240/.329/.459 slash line. However, he generated a strong .461 xSLG, 13.2 percent barrel rate, and a 46.4 percent hard-hit rate, which suggests he should be poised to bounce back. Batting behind Francisco Lindor, Soto, and Brandon Nimmo should provide Alonso with elite RBI opportunities all season. He should be viewed as a top first baseman when looking for power and RBI upside.
Source: Jeff Passan
Source: Jeff Passan
Read More News